Believe it or not: I had Compelling Reasons!
- For one and half years, I was a creative director at a renowned web development company in Belgium, known as a big player in the governmental websites niche
- Yes, my job title was “CREATIVE director”. As the name implies, you may assume that I was in control, with my creative juices flowing endlessly, blossoming into meaningful and rewarding contributions to my company. Sadly, this wasn’t the case! In a very short period, I tragically went from a driven, motivated and aspiring designer into a helpless design-by-committee pixel-pusher!
- My frustration was growing exponentially inside me due to the unbearable redundancy, utter boredom, monotonous tasks, etc. … Not to mention, the endless meetings along all kinds of corporate nonsense!
- In the meantime, I became a self-improvement books obsessed fanatic. Would you blame me?! It was my only escape. I devoured books like “The Four Hour Work Week”, “The Alchemist”, “ I will teach you to be rich”, “Screw it, Let’s do it”, “Good to Great”, you name it!
- I always knew deep down in heart that I was a free spirit. I love going my way free from all the “do this do that” crippling rules. That’s why, I hated the fact that all my hard work was filling my boss’s pockets!
- My ambition led me to consider starting my online businesses to do ONLY what I love to do and save myself from turning into another 8-to-5 victim!
So, what finally pulled the trigger?
Well, the economic situation was a huge red flag, especially after a lot of banks and companies were going bust! Some of my colleagues were fired lately and I didn’t feel like joining the club. It feels much better when I choose to fire my boss. A feeling of complete independence?
My 8-to-5 vicious circle was standing in my way. So, I had to break free and dedicate my entire time to my online passions.
So far so good! Why college?
- Actually, I hadn’t done that yet
- I love to feel independent and live on my own (While working, I was living at my parents’ house)
- Now I have more free time on my hands and I plan to use it well
- I enjoy being around other like-minded students in the field of web design
- My best friend was already studying the same course that I was planning to take
- Above all, getting all the references to an upcoming “why you should start up a business in college”-article
The bottom line is, I realized, fortunately at an early age, that I live only once and it’s up to me and only me to shape my destiny and turn my dreams into a living reality. I invite you to do same and break free from social moulds and the live-your-life-this-way bogus. All you need is to get real and know yourself. Then, decide, commit, and succeed.